Yeah, after stuffing around a little more I realised it's something to
do with the authentication call I'm making.

I get the error in my JUnit test but not when I deploy the app.  I'm
trying to authenticate using:
ProviderManager providerManager = (ProviderManager)
applicationContext.getBean("authenticationManager");
providerManager.authenticate(new TestingAuthenticationToken("dan",
"blahblah", new GrantedAuthority[] { new
GrantedAuthorityImpl("ROLE_BLOGGER") } ));

Using the TestingAuthenticationProvider and the deployed version uses
a DaoAuthenticationProvider.