Does anyone know how to avoid being challenge twice in the following
scenario: (I am using ACEGI with my companies authentication mechanism
which pops up the 401 login prompt and if successful set the REMOTE_USER. I
then have a custom ACEGI provider than checks for this.)

When a user clicks on a link that has */secure/* in it and the link is http
I need to redirect to https before the authentication challenge is made.
Currently, I get challenge for the http and then again when it redirects
for https.

I know this is not a ACEGI issue, but I am sure it was encountered before.
One way to avoid this is to make sure all URI with */secure/* also has
https, but since I am using velocity in the Spring, I am using something
like href="$rc.getContextPath()/secure/manage.htm"> to build my URLs in my
templates and therefore I cannot hardcode the https.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.