Not sure what your IDE is but I would recommend using
eclipse(eclipse.org) or the like with the acegi sources mounted and
debug using the remote debugger.  There is a great tomcat plugin for
easy setup.  Then you can step through all the code to see what is going
on and learn acegi better to boot.

Of