Is there any way to configure the system so this is possible ?

In web.xml
<context-param>
<param-value>classpath:beanRefFactory.xml</param-value>
</context-param>
<listener>
<listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
</listener>

In beanRefFactory.xml

<bean id="bean.factory" lazy-init="true"
class="org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext">
    <constructor-arg>
      <value>webApplicationContext.xml</value>
    </constructor-arg>
 </bean>

I've tried it with lazy-init set to true and also to false.

It craps out every time as far as I can see it is at the point where
it tries to load up
my acegi filters.

Any ideas appreciated ....