Now that recent maven problems may be behind me (once I switch to maven
2.0.4, not yet tried), I'd appreciate some feedback from others who may
be following a similar path, and whether what I'm interested in is
actually possible.

I'm a member of the GIGlite project (http://giglite.org) which is trying
to build a boxed/tested ESB for use by DOD, govt in general, and perhaps
even more broadly. This differs from me-too-ESBs in that the solution
must comply with govt security policy and pass govt (stringent)
information assurance/interoperability tests. In practice, this means
SSL alone is not sufficient. In addition to SSL for session-level
security, the ESB must also provide message-level security, and the
service must (if it chooses) also provide field-level security. The
whole nine yards; authentication, authorization, confidentiality,
nonrepudiation and integrity.

At first glance we're planning on using TAB (Trusted Authentication
Broker) and TAPE (Trusted Authorization Policy Engine) as the identity
providers. TAB evolved from NESSO (Navy Enterprise Single Sign On), and
TAPE from the Soutei policy engine (written in Haskel), which is an
extension to research engines at Microsoft, etc. Both are (or soon will
be) in the GIGlite Subversion along with full documentation.

The way I'm imagining this will work (those more knowledgeable about
acegi, please correct me here. Also pointers to the specific questions
in parentheses would be very helpful since I've just started exploring
what this project can do).

1) XML arrives as a string on the wire (where what "wire" means is
pluggable with various transport mechanisms, ideally already provided by
this project (HTTPS, IIOP, XMMS, SIP, but actually unbounded over time).

2) XML is converted to some object model like JDOM (question: does acegi
have a recommended object model like Axis2's Axiom?)

3) XML tree is transformed in-place by a succession of security modulues
        o Encryption
        o Signing
        o Integrity
(question: does acegi provide these or must we code them ourselves?)

--- The ESB to Service API lies about here ---

4) XML tree arives at the application (service) in cleartext that the
program can operate on directly.

5) If field-level security is required, the service does that. The ESB's
role is messsage- and session-level security.