(Resending Richard's mail where the list was still dropped, to make the
flow of converstaion clearer):

On 07/07/2016 01:50 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <j...@eff.org >
> <mailto:j...@eff.org>> wrote: > > On 07/07/2016 11:16 AM, Richard
Barnes wrote: > > That wasn't my intent. Rather, I wanted the CA to be
able to say, > > e.g., "you have to provide a contact". Does that much
seem useful? > Ah, now I get it. But why would that be part of the cert
request flow? > It seems like a CA that has a "contact required" policy
should enforce > that policy when the account is created. Similarly, the
"terms required" > is already enforced at the per-request level: Let's
Encrypt won't allow > any authenticated requests until the terms are
agreed to. > > > That's up to the out-of-band system. I feel pretty
strongly that we > need this out-of-band thing, and we need it to be
flexible. > > Agreed we need some system for out-of-band requests, but I
think we need > to flesh out a flow for a hypothetical out-of-band
request in more > detail. In particular, we need to close the loop. The
outbound direction > is obvious - load this URL in a browser, expect
something human readable > with further instructions. However, we need
the inbound direction as > well. How does the client know when a human
has completed the > out-of-band instructions satisfactorily? That's why
I added the status > field in my example. > > > Oh yeah, totally fine
having the status field. > > > Unrelatedly: I think these request
objects probably need a status field > and an expiry, like
authorizations, and the ability for server or client > to deactivate
them. For instance, status could be: in-progress, > completed,
deactivated. > > > Yeah, I was thinking something basically the same as
authorizations: > - pending: You still need to fulfill some requirements
> - invalid: This one is bad, you need to start over > - valid: You can
use this to issue certs > - expired: You can't use this any more > > The
only question I'm pondering is whether we need to separate "you > can't
use this any more because you didn't complete the requirements > fast
enough" from "... because you already issued all the certs you were >
allowed to issue" (maybe with "closed" for the latter). I think I'm >
fine conflating them for a first pass.