Based on the discussion on this thread it seems there is more support for
the proactive approach. Speaking on behalf of Let's Encrypt and the Boulder
developers we're willing to compromise and support proactive issuance as
the sole issuance method in order to simplify the protocol &
implementations.

I opened a PR [0] that changes the language around certificate issuance to
reflect that the server MUST issue the certificate proactively once all the
required challenges for an application have been fulfilled.

I think this should wrap up the discussion in a way that is satisfying for
everyone that has voiced an opinion so far. Thanks!

[0]: https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme/pull/191