On 30 November 2016 at 15:52, Richard Barnes <r...@ipv.sx> wrote:
> So, dear HTTP editor, which code should we use?

No need to be facetious :)

I was agreeing with Ted, if that wasn't clear.  400 is your grab bag
for "requests you don't like".  403 is generally used for cases where
authentication has been dealt with, but that is (still) insufficient.
I think that it's perfectly good for cases where the account or
signature is forbidden from making a change.

Changes of Terms of Service [sic - Changed?] 403 => 400 seems like a
better choice
Pre-Authorization 403 is probably OK here

There doesn't seem to be a good rule in these cases, but the risk is
that you slap 403 on every request that the server might want to
reject on the basis of ...stuff.