I just published draft-02
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-friel-acme-subdomains-02.txt which hopefully
addresses the pre-authorization and policy discussions below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Acme <acme-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Owen Friel (ofriel)
Sent: 29 January 2020 05:51
To: Felipe Gasper <fel...@felipegasper.com>
Cc: IETF ACME <acme@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Acme] ACME wildcards vs. subdomain authorizations (was RE: Call
for adoption draft-frield-acme-subdomains)

[ofriel] Confining to pre-authorization certainly isn’t the intention, and I
can clarify this.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-friel-acme-subdomains-01#section-4.1 states:

" If a server has such a policy and a client is not authorized for the
   parent domain then:
   o  If the client submits a newOrder request for a subdomain: The
      server MUST return a status 201 (Created) response.  The response
      body is an order object with status set to "pending" and links to
      newly created authorizations objects against the parent domain."

So some of the text explicitly allows this. I will refactor.