From: Acme <acme-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Felipe Gasper
Sent: 04 December 2020 21:35
To: Owen Friel (ofriel) <ofriel=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: acme@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Acme] acme subdomains open items

I wasn’t part of IETF 109 .. was it discussed simply to give CAs the ability to
choose whether it tries authz against parent domains without the client’s
requesting it?

This is how our (non-ACME) Sectigo integration works currently, and it suits us
well.

-F

On Dec 4, 2020, at 02:23, Owen Friel (ofriel)
<ofriel=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:ofriel=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
wrote:

Hi all,

As recommended by the chairs at IETF109, bring the two open items to the list
for discussion. These were raised by Felipe and Ryan previously.

1: Does the client need a mechanism to indicate that they want to authorize a
parent domain and not the explicit subdomain identifier? Or a mechanism to
indicate that they are happy to authorize against a choice of identifiers?

E.g. for foo1.foo2.bar.example.com, should the client be able to specify
anywhere from 1 to 4 identifiers they are willing to fulfil challenges for?

2: Does the server need a mechanism to provide a choice of identifiers to the
client and let the client chose which challenge to fulfil?

E.g. for foo1.foo2.bar.example.com, should the server be able to specify
anywhere from 1 to 4 identifiers that the client can pick from to fulfil?

Both 1 and 2 require JSON object definition changes. Currently, the document
only defines how a client can submit a newOrder / newAuthz for a subdomain, and
the server can chose any one parent identifier that it requires a challenge
fulfilment on

Owen

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/109/materials/slides-109-acme-subdomains-01

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-friel-acme-subdomains-03#section-4