On Oct 28, 2004, at 4:58 PM, Aparajita Fishman wrote:
I assume that since these are web processes and two users could email a document simultaneously. The two(or more) calls to A4D_SendMail would be in different processes. If this is what you mean by synchronously, we do. Is there a problem with SMTP_Send?- Are you calling any plugins from Active4D?
Calling a few 4d wrappers to get some ObjectTools objects, the smtp mail stuff.
Are you calling the mail stuff synchronously?
We have two basic type of mail processes - both user driven. 1 A user writes a document using an html form - the rendered version is saved to a file - the html file is emailed to the user. 2 A user requests a document stored on a server be email to them - this is done in a semaphored process on the 4dServer.
I turned on my verbose logging two days ago and no deadlocks since then - I'll find the bugger yet!
Steve,
If SMTP_Send fails it will block all other processing until it times out. Also the 4DIC commands to set the timeout don't appear to work with the SMTP commands. FWIW, all of the 4D Internet Commands calls run 'synchronously', that is they block all other processing until they succeed or stop trying. SMTP routines written with ITK won't don't do this.
In systems where I use 4DIC, I write all email messages into a [MAIL_QUEUE] table and let a 4D background process look for and send the messages. Ideally, I prefer to do this on a different machine than the web or database server, i.e., a batch workstation (client).
best,
Brad
_______________________________________________ Active4D-dev mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://mailman.aparajitaworld.com/mailman/listinfo/active4d-dev Archives: http://mailman.aparajitaworld.com/archive/active4d-dev/
