-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Laura E. Hunter
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:52 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] OT: Network latency on VBScript-mapped drive
letters.

So I have a VBScript that I use to map a network drive to a DFS share,
as follows:

strDriveLetter      = "S:"
Set objNetwork  = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDriveLetter, strBaseDrivePath
set objNetwork  = nothing

When I map the DFS root using a drive letter using this code in a
login script, I get isolated-but-consistent client reports of network
latency when opening or saving a file; Word/Excel/whatever will choke
up for a good 5 or 6 seconds at a time.

If I disconnect the script-mapped drive and access this resource from
the same machine using any other method:

* map the drive using the GUI,
* map the drive from the CLI using 'net use', or
* manually enter the UNC path from the Run line

...all latency goes away.  It's not OS-specific as far as I can tell;
the machines currently reporting the latency are a handful of XPSP2
and 2KSP4 machines that don't have much else unique in common.

I've determined that it's not specifically DFS-related, as I've tested
mapping directly to the physical servername instead of the DFS
sharename and produced identical results.

Neither is it relevant that the script is being run as part of a login
script/GPO, as running the script manually from an affected desktop
also produces the same behaviour.

So it's either a VBScript thing, or it's something client-specific
that I haven't isolated on the half-dozen desktops that are
experiencing the issue.

Google has thus far yielded no joy, has anyone run into this before?

--
Laura E. Hunter