You can do an x-domain simple bind within the forest. You can not do it
x-forest.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Joe Kaplan
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:18 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] "Who Am I" request

I think that's fine.  Remember that AD has a global catalog, so you can
search across the whole forest quite easily.

I'm not actually certain that you can do a simple bind with a user from a
different domain, but maybe you can.  My multi-domain LDAP knowledge is a
little weak since I don't actually have to deal with one on a day to day
basis.  I do know that you simple bind is only supposed to support the full
DN (as per LDAP spec), the UPN or the NT name for simple bind.  The
unqualified user name is only supposed to work with a Windows secure
(GSS-SPNEGO SASL) bind.  I think it actually does work in some cases, but
not others, so you should not use it as it is not documented to work
correctly.

There is also a Windows RPC method called DsCrackNames that will translate
names between different format if you have a logon name and want something
you can use in a DN such as the full DN, GUID or SID.  I doubt that helps if
you are trying to use use OpenLDAP though.  :)

Joe K.