From: Greg Felzer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 11:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Remove the ability to create computer accounts in
the computer container

Hello,

Maybe the collective minds here can come up with something.....

I have given a group (Join Computers to the Domain group) the rights to
join
computers to the domain through the Default Domain policy.  Only this
group
has rights to join computers to the domain.

I have created a web page that creates a computer account (it checks
first
to make sure the computer account does not exist) base upon department
specific input from the user.  Once the account is created the user
names
his computer the same as the computer account and joins the domain.

The problem I am having is that some of the user that are members of the
Join Computers to the Domain group are not using the web page.  They are
using "My network place", advanced, network identification.....ect to
join
the domain.  This creates a computer account in the computer container.
When this happens I get a computer account showing up in the computer
container that I do not know what department it belongs to.

My solution (that does not work) was to remove all rights (including
System
rights) to the computer container.  I figured without rights they would
not
be able to create the computer accounts.  This did not work so I denied
the
ability to create all child objects for the Join computers group in the
Computers Container.  This did not work so I denied the right for
Everyone.
Also did not work.

Any ideas on how to prevent all users from creating computer objects in
the
computers container?

Thanks
Greg

Greg Felzer
MCSE NT4, MCSE 2000, CCA, CCNA, CNA
Senior Systems Engineer
Center for Computing and Information Technology
Medical University of South Carolina