We've gotten by so far (2 years plus) without making any 'custom' schema changes to
our forest - only changes have been due to E2K.

We now have a need to store some company-specific user attributes (some codes
regarding each person's place in the organization that are defined in our payroll
system).  These codes are also used by some areas besides payroll, because they are a
useful way to determine which labor group the person is part of.  As such, they are a
known commodity across multiple business areas.  There are no existing, unused
attributes defined in the schema that neatly map to these values.

I know I can just arbitrarily designate some of the built-in Extension Attributes to
hold this data (ExtensionAttribute1, ExtensionAttribute2, etc.) and publish this fact
to the developers that need to know.  I could also extend the schema by creating new
attributes, which I would assign to an auxiliary class and attach the auxiliary class
to the User class.  I know how to do this, and we do have a base OID assigned for our
company.  We built a schema modification policy as part of our migration to AD, but
have never had to use it.

My question is, what criteria do you folks use to determine whether to use an existing
extension attribute versus creating your own custom attribute ?

Dave