From: Michelle Harmon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 9:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Windows 2000 schema extension

Roger's right about the schema extension triggering a full replication.
I didn't find proof very many places, but here's one thing that I found:

http://www.mcpmag.com/backissues/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=413

"...Adding or removing an attribute from the Partial Attribute Set in
Win2K triggers a complete rebuild of the global catalog. This results in
a full replication of the global catalog to all GC servers in the
forest..."

So there you have it.  Looks like you'll get replication of all
partitions of the GC you made the changes on to all other GCs.

As far as "the replication traffic generated will be greater if the
directory is populated with a whole load of data," if you're asking what
I assume you're asking (if the freshly extended schema + info contained
in the new attributes will be more than the traffic from the freshly
extended schema alone), then I would say yes.  Seems like a trick
question though.  ;)

-Michelle