Hi All:
    Since the hot topic lately has concerned GCs, I thought I would throw this nagging
problem out to see if anyone has any thoughts.  The problem concerns the slow
enumeration of user accounts, such as what you would see if you were going to add a
user to a group.  It takes a minute, maybe two, to populate the entire userlist.  And
even then, we still get a popup window with text that says "This location contains
more than 10000 objects.  Only the first 10000 objects will be shown.".  We have
approximately 11000 user accounts.  Slow enumeration is seen on servers/workstations
that are either 100 MB or 1 GB network connected.  I know that you can just type in
the user account to add in the subwindow below but I have other admins who are asking
about this slowness.

Our root domain GC is a dual 600 Mhz, 512MB RAM, 1GB network connected and shares DC
responsibility with 2 other DCs in this site.  The other DCs are similar
hardware-wise.  A systemstate backup occupies about 650MB.  Some child domain DCs also
run the GC function but I don't think they play into this current discussion.

As far as Windows/Active Directory enterprises go, we normally consider ourselves
"small potatoes".  I wonder what kind of enumeration performance larger organizations
experience?  Any comments/thoughts are welcome.  Thanks!

Mike Thommes
Systems Administrator
Argonne National Laboratory