Title: Message

Woahhhhh....I musta missed that document.  AD integrated DNS can now be separated from regular replication?

Gotta link? Book? Paper? Smokesignal? Morse?  J

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Kingslan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 1:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Quick AD integrated DNS question :)

This would be correct.  But, remember that in the replication strategy for Win2k - data goes to every DC regardless if it's a DNS server or not - because once it's DNS-integrated, it's now a part of the AD data.  This trend is broken in Win2k3, where application partitions can handle DNS - and do.  The DomainDNS and ForestDNS are just that, for all intents and purposes.  They are AD Application parts handling DNS for just DNS servers - and no DNS data need be on the DCs, unless it too, is a DNS server once the full DNS app partition is configured.

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert