Title: Message
We got smoked yesterday around 1:00.  It was difficult to troubleshoot what was going on because I couldn't figure out how it was replicating through the network.  Some machines had symptoms and others didn't (some machines had patches applied). Our symptoms included problems with office, problems with Exchange and problems with printing.  It was pretty obvious around 4:00 that it was replicating all over the place.  Once you've installed the patch I think you still have to delete something from the registry to get the computer from infecting other computers.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 8:50 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: Has anyone had a problem with the RPC call to the OS

Yusuf,

Check out some of the security vulnerability lists like full-disclosure, vulnwatch, vulndiscuss, etc. People are saying that since yesterday sometime, possibly the night before they have been seeing infections and have noticed a considerable increase in hits on their firewalls for RPC ports and other ports used by MSBLASTER. Also some of the other Microsoft MVP's have indicated that they have seen it in their sites as well.  Check out http://isc.sans.org/images/port135percent.png at sans.org and note the huge spike in the number of sources and records. If you have a high number of records/targets but a relatively low number of sources, that is usually normal people or black hats scanning. If you have a high number of sources and records then that is usually a worm or virus.

Additionally in the public newsgroups there have been several posts of people complaining of the symptoms of the worm such as why is my machine scanning netbios ports or why is my machine getting an rpc error and rebooting, etc.

I haven't gotten to the office yet, but I am expecting that I will be hearing about infections today inside our intranet.

Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server / Active Directory
www.joeware.net