Graham,

>From the Script Center in Technet:

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colOperatingSystems = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")
For Each objOperatingSystem in colOperatingSystems
Wscript.Echo objOperatingSystem.Caption & " " & objOperatingSystem.Version
Next

But one of the many ways to accomplish.  And, as I remember, but can't
recall the name, I've used a CLI .exe in CMD type scripts to do a
determination of OS as well.

Many other ways to do this, as you obviously need to have WMI
installed/activated for the above to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcen
ter/compmgmt/ScrCM26.asp

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Graham Turner
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 6:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] os version

i know this one has probably been done about 500 times already, but was
hoping to sound the mailing list out on techniques of differentiating
between Windows 2000 / NT4 from login script, given that both Windows 2000
and NT4 return "Windows NT" from a query of the "OS Version" environment
variable

GT