This still requires a list of semi trusted networks.  I am curious would you
use the IPSEC to limit the port range to the DC's for replication, or both
the client level traffic and the DCs traffic?

On problem with client traffic being encrypted is that we support multiple
hosts connecting to our domains, (Mac, UNIX, old NTLM clients).  I have to
be honest, I have spoken with several engineers who have tried to do IPSEC
on large scale deployments and they say it is more trouble than it is worth
when you are not standardized on Windows 2000 or XP.

The problem I am having is that some of the organizations in my operation
want to view all traffic from outside their organization as totally
untrusted.  So basically their "security experts" want us to identify
specific ports and trusted inbound communication from specific host for
every domain in the forest.  We have about 24 domains, and about 75 DC's.
That's one big list to keep maintaining and coordinating for just the DC
traffic.  We also have 5 Class B address ranges of ports in our design
(Remember we are the government) so exposing planning for client exposure is
also somewhat an issue.

So far I came up with two solutions to this, use DMZ's and limited/Static
RPC replication, and allow inbound traffic from "trusted networks" to
community network services (DNS, AD, Exchange Servers, Intranet servers),
then separate mission critical servers and clients by connecting them
through a second firewall to the border DMZ.  Allow all outbound
communication to occur, and allow limited inbound from DMZ servers to occur.
What this basically will probably require is that AD replication and
operations will work as expected for host inside the firewall and traveling
users who work at other departments with in the organization.

If the organization chooses to limit basically all inbound communication
request except from the direct replication partners this potentially can
break authentication from outside sources to local resources, provisioning
via LDAP, and single sign-on using only Microsoft technology.  So if the
user ever visits another part of the organization that is behind a closed
firewall DMZ design, they will have to VPN into their portion of the network
to properly authenticate and access resources.

So the question I posed earlier has still gone un-answered.  Do you think
RPC NTDS and FRS replication is fine with just on port being open, or do you
think it would be better to open a range?

Thanks,

Todd Myrick