From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 8:15 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [ActiveDir] Security Logs

This is my first posting so please be gentle.

We have an empty root then a single domain under the empty root.  We
have separate companies that have their own ou within this domain.  One
of the companies is requesting access to the Security log on the domain
controllers so that they can see why users have been locked out of their
account.  We do have auditing enabled with the following settings: Audit
account logon events - Success, Failure Audit account management -
Success, Failure Audit directory service access - Failure Audit logon
events - Success, Failure Audit object access - Failure Audit policy
change - Success, Failure Audit privilege use - Failure Audit process
tracking - No auditing Audit system events - Success, Failure

1.  To me this would seem to be a security risk to allow read access to
the security logs but I have to justify this.  Is there information
within the log file that could be extracted and used to do harm?  Does
anybody have any ammo related to this?

2.  Is there even a way to allow real time read access to the security
logs in a windows 2000 environment without giving them domain admin
access? q323076 pertains to this on windows 2003 but doesn't mention
windows 2000.

3.  If we can give them real time read access to the security log file
is there a way that we could filter out all entries except  the messages
that would pertain to user lock outs?