Russ-
How are you trying to trigger the install? If its a machine-based assignment, the install will only happen on machine reboot, rather than by using secedit or gpupdate. The message displayed below is simply saying that software installation can't happen in the background (i.e. asynchronously) but instead must happen during synchronous GPO processing, which means on machine reboot for computer policy or user logon for user policy.

Darren

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rimmerman, Russ
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 5:56 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Software Deployment to Computers using GPO

Ok, I figured out the permission problems.  Apparently you can't publish software  for a software install GPO on a clustered server.

Now I'm getting a new error: (cam-tst-computers is the GPO name).

The assignment of application PatchLink Update Agent for Windows from policy CAM-TST-Computers Local Security Policy failed. The error was : The group policy framework should call the extension in the synchronous foreground policy refresh.