Happy New Year Graham-
Yes, I think KB306915 is incorrect as near as I can tell. I can
understand why MS put those values in the spot they did. That policies
subkey under HKLM guarantees that any settings underneath are not
"tattooed" when the policy is removed, so it makes sense that they would
want to put as many settings here as possible. It is curious, however,
that they are basically duplicates of the values found in the
GPExtensions subkey.

I suspect that the gpextensions values are used by the extensions
themselves to control other processing behavior.

In regards to your IE problem, yes, the IE maintenance uses the same
mechanism as the IEAK, although as I understand it, not all IEAK
policies are supported in Group Policy. If you look in the GPT (in
sysvol) for a given GPO with IE Maintenance policy set, you will find
the familiar install.ins file. I am not surprised that userenv.log
logging doesn't yield much detail, since the IEAK stuff is marching to
its own tune, so to speak. If it truly is the same mechanism, then you
might look for the brndlog.txt file, which is used to log configuration
events in the IEAK. I don't have a handy machine to look for that right
now, but if you find it, let me know. KB article # 192472 describes
troubleshooting in the IEAK, which probably applies to a degree in GPO.

Good luck,

Darren