Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:36 AM
Subject: [ActiveDir] Cross forest policies - boxes in Win2k domain, users in win2k3 s ingle domain forest

Hello all,

Having moved all of our users from an NT4 account domain to a Windows 2003 domain, we have a requirement to set policies on our citrix servers which sit in a separate windows 2000 forest, to control policies for users from our trusted single domain windows 2003 forest.  E.g. to run registry editing tools etc

This a bit long-winded but this is what we are trying to do and are not sure how to proceed:

The "Default User" on the Citrix servers is configured with some default settings, including the "disable registry editing tools" policies.

When we were still using an NT4 account domain the Citrix servers were configured to get .POL files from the hard drive instead of the DC's, this way we had NT4 policies that were only in effect when logging into the Citrix servers, also there were group membership controls in the .POL files so that admin accounts had the policies lifted.

The problems we need to solve are
1. Policy lockdown for users coming from outside the win2k domain (where the Citrix servers live) when they logon to the Citrix servers.

At present we are relying on the settings inherited from "Default User", for the Win2k3 domain accounts. We need a way to have policies that apply to the Win2k3 domain users, but only when they logon to the Citrix servers (which are the only member computers in the win2k domain), policy loop back has been suggested (apply the computer policy to users regardless of the domain they logged on from), which looks promising, assuming they can be controlled by user group memberships (in win2k3 domain) to stop the admins getting the user policies.

2. Not to apply the policies for Admin Win2k3 domain accounts when logging onto the Citrix boxes.
Cross forest GPO's only work when both domains are W2K3, which I would expect is not going to happen any time soon. And we need to relax the policies being picked by the admins

Hope this make sense !?

Stephen Wilkinson

Tel       +44(0)207 4759276
Mobile  +44(0)7973 143970