Hi Wook,
    Thanks for the additional details!  I've been chasing my tail on this issue for about about a week now. Is it too simplistic to think these problems could be avoided if service dependencies were used?

Mike Thommes
-----Original Message-----
From: Lee, Wook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 2:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Potential DNS issues after applying MS04-011

Just to clarify a bit, there is a race condition when the DC boots where netlogon starts before some other services, e.g. the KDC, are available. Netlogon thinks the DC no longer hosts those services and deregisters the corresponding SRV records. If the deregistration fails for some reason, then the SRV records stay around until scavenging deletes them but if DDNS is working correctly, the deregistration occurs right away.

This doesn't always happen since it all depends on the timing of netlogon startup versus the other services on DCS in your environment. If netlogon is restarted after the DC is fully up and running, the restart will trigger netlogon to correctly register all of its SRV records including any that might have been deregistered at boot time. Any monitoring tools that check for the presence of SRV records should catch this problem.

I've been told that if this problem is endemic to your Windows 2000 forest, you will find that over time, some DCs start to become overloaded while others sit idle. This is because as the SRV records are removed, only those DCs that still have valid SRV records registered will be targeted for use.

My understanding is that this problem only affects Windows 2000 DCs though at any service pack level with MS04-011 installed. Windows 2003 DCs do not experience this problem with or without MS04-011.

Wook