Hello Rens,

Migrate with ADMTv2, look into the guides MS published for a migration from one forest into another. Since you are able to keep the SID in the SIDHistory you are able to retain permissions, however I'd also look to reAcl the Ressources to the new SIDs. This can be done with ADMT, SIDWalk migration suite or 3rd Party Migration Tools.

Ulf

Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im Auftrag von Rens Meijer
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2004 15:07
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: [ActiveDir] Dieing forest

Hi all,

A customer of mine had a forest root domain and a child domain. By disaster the single (i know very bad) DC in the forest root domain has crashed and cannot be restored. All replication within the forest came to a hold. By creating the forest root domain on one of the DNS servers in the child domain, GC and Domain SRV records were registered again and replication between the DC's in the child domain resumed. Accept with the forest root domain DC ofcourse because it is not there anymore. Now they're in a temporarily stable situation, but the question is for how long? Even Microsoft comes with different answers. Does anyone have thoughts about how long an orphaned child domain can sustain on it own?

In my opinion the real solution is to create a new forest and migrate all the AD and Exchange data to the new forest. We already installed a new forest, we could create a trust between the 2 domains. Now we want to migrate from W2K-E2K to W2K-E2K and retain all AD, NTFS, share, Exchange permissions. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

TIA,

Rens Meijer