Thanks for the comments.  You're absolutely correct that we're looking for the user
impact - knowing the "busyness" of the DC is just part of the equation.  I'm also
looking at the number/type of workstations, usage patterns, etc.

I intend to track the metrics I mentioned on all DCs (not just the remote DCs) using
BMC Patrol.  That will give me a basis of comparison and a better feel for how busy
the central site DCs are.  If I have to add capacity at the central site, so be it.

As far as site coverage goes, we have a hub/spoke topology, and 'spoke' DCs are
configured to NOT register domain-wide SRV records, so clients will only find DCs at
the hub site.  Each spoke site has one site link (to the hub site), and site link
transitivity is turned off.  Shouldn't that ensure that my DC-less sites are properly
covered ?

Finally, we're already on the upgrade path to W2K03 - we've added a few 2K03 DCs to
our 2K native-mode domain.  The remaining DCs will be upgraded over the next several
months.

One thing I will need to address (thanks for the catch, Joe) is the fact that the DCs
are also AD-integrated DNS servers, and the clients in those sites are pointed at them
for DNS.  I could always leave DNS out there sans the AD-integrated zones, or make it
a secondary for those zones, but I don't think DNS over the WAN will be a big deal
from these sites.  I guess I could track how many requests those DNS servers are
takling from clients while I'm at it...

Thanks for the feedback guys !
Dave