(All servers running Windows 2003 Standard. Domain/forest functional levels all set to Windows 2003.)

I have a two-level domain structure, like this:

DOMAIN  ->  DOMAIN-CHILD1
              ->  DOMAIN-CHILD2

My SQL Server lives in DOMAIN, and i'm trying to add the machine account for a machine in DOMAIN-CHILD1 to the SQL logins list.

In the SQL login property dialog, i browse for an account name, and go into the Domain Computers members list for DOMAIN-CHILD1.  I see the computers in there, and i pick one and add it: DOMAIN-CHILD1\MACHINE.  I give it permissions to a specific database in the default 'user' role.

But, when i press OK, it gives me an error dialog stating:

"Error 15401: Windows NT or group 'DOMAIN-CHILD1\MACHINE$' not found.  Check the name again."

But it definitely does exist, because it just browsed for it.

Other weird error is if i try and look at the members of the DOMAIN\Domain Computers group (via the SQL login browse dialog), it gives me an error dialog stating:

"The global group is in a domain which is not in the list of trusted domains.  Have more trusted domains been added while new users were being selected?"

But, i'm looking at a global group in the *same* domain as the SQL server.   Weird, eh?

I've checked the two-way trusts between the parent-child domains and they all validate correctly.

I've successfully done this before on another set of servers, where i've added machine accounts for servers that live in another domain, which is a peer to the domain which contains the SQL server.  (multiple domains in a forest, no parent-child relationships).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kirk

Kirk Marple