delegation of several EA capabilities if I recall correctly.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Grillenmeier, Guido
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 6:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Enterprise Admin members

some more

5. trigger replication of config/schema partition between DCs of different
domains 6. trigger replication of domain partition to GCs of other domains
7. manage replication topology at the forest level 8. create child domains
9. add any new objects to the config container (e.g. for special
applications)
10. restore any cross-domain links (such as group-memberships) in a recovery
scenario 11. ability to manage all objects (e.g. users, groups etc.) in any
domain 12. ability to locally logon or TS to any DC in the forest 13.
managing Application Partitions

there should be no service accounts that require membership in EA to do
their work. Unless you have an app that perform any of the listed activities
in an automated fashion, which isn't what I'd recommend to do (i.e. if
you're auto-creating sites + subnets, then it would be worthwhile to
delegate this to a special group and make the service account a member of
this group).

rgd. your approach to leave the EA group empty until required: this is an
approach I definitely recommend for the Schema Admin group, as it's
permissions are very limited in scope and are not required very often.
Doing the same thing with EA really depends on how you currently manage AD
and how willing you are to adjust some of the default security to delegate
the required permissions for the most frequent of the taks listed (e.g.
1,5,6,11,12).

Also realize, if you would do the latter (delegate permissions for some of
the most frequent tasks where EA is required), then you're basically
introducing another group with great power over your forest, which may not
be as well protected as the EA itself.  And if you don't delegate these
tasks, then I'm afraid you'll find yourself adding a user to EA very often.
Maybe too often for comfort; maybe up to a level of certain frustration...

At last, every Domain Admin is basically an Enterprise Admin (or could
become one, no matter which domain in the forest - should be clear what I
mean).  So whatever you do, keep the members in DA restricted to the same
bare-minimum possible as your EA members.

/Guido