I can confirm that you have to tranfer the role manually - 2003 won't
try to do this by itself.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dean Wells
Sent: Freitag, 9. Juli 2004 16:32
To: Send - AD mailing list
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] 2003 DC Promo Question....

Hmmm ... re: "If you do an OS Upgrade from 2K to K3 on a Domain
Controller I
believe it will pull the PDC functionality to it"; nothing I've
witnessed
would seem to back that up.  In the event I'm just a bad witness or
someone
with the retention of a Gold Fish and they do indeed do that, it's just
plain wrong, wrong, wrong.  PDC physical placement is important in
certain
scenarios, to arbitrarily move the role during an upgrade process could
have
significant security implications.

--
Dean Wells