There just isn't a way to turn off the authentication function other than
block port 88.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 2:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Stopping a GC from doing Authentications

Hi Todd

You can use a GPO (2003) or Reg Hacks (2000) to hide the SRV records so it
can no longer do authentications.  The following is an excerpt from
Microsoft Q306602

Windows 2000

1.    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2.    Locate and click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters

3.    On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following
registry value:

          Value name: DnsAvoidRegisterRecords

          Data type: REG_MULTI_SZ

          Set the value to the list of the space-delimited mnemonics that
          are specified in the following tables.

4.    Quit Registry Editor.

Windows Server 2003

To configure Windows Server 2003-based domain controllers, use the Net
Logon service Group Policy "DNS records not registered by the domain
controllers" by specifying the list of the space-delimited mnemonics that
are specified in the following tables.

Reference Tables

The following tables contain mnemonics, types, and the owner names of the
domain controller locator DNS records that should not be registered by the
satellite domain controllers and global catalogs to optimize the domain
controller location.

Domain Controller-Specific Records
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
|   Mnemonic   |Type|                      DNS Record                      |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
|LdapIpAddress |A   |<DnsDomainName>                                       |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| Ldap         |SRV |_ldap._tcp.<DnsDomainName>                            |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| DcByGuid     |SRV |_ldap._tcp.<DomainGuid>.domains._msdcs.<DnsForestName>|
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| Kdc          |SRV |_kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.<DnsDomainName>              |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| Dc           |SRV |_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<DnsDomainName>                  |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| Rfc1510Kdc   |SRV |_kerberos._tcp.<DnsDomainName>                        |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| Rfc1510UdpKdc|SRV |_kerberos._udp.<DnsDomainName>                        |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| Rfc1510Kpwd  |SRV |_kpasswd._tcp.<DnsDomainName>                         |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|
| Rfc1510UdpKpw|SRV |_kpasswd._udp.<DnsDomainName>                         |
| d            |    |                                                      |
|--------------+----+------------------------------------------------------|

Global Catalog-Specific Records
|-----------+----+------------------------------------|
| Mnemonic  |Type|             DNS Record             |
|-----------+----+------------------------------------|
|Gc         |SRV |_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.<DnsForestName>|
|-----------+----+------------------------------------|
| GcIpAddres|A   |gc._msdcs.<DnsForestName>           |
| s         |    |                                    |
|-----------+----+------------------------------------|
| GenericGc |SRV |_gc._tcp.<DnsForestName>            |
|-----------+----+------------------------------------|

For the complete list of the domain controller locator DNS records, see the
Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit, "Distributed Systems Guide" book, Chapter
3 "Name Resolution in Active Directory". For the complete list of the
domain controller locator DNS records, refer to KB article Q267855 that is
referenced in this article

You should be able to hide all but the GC records and it will stop being
available to clients for authentication.  We have hidden DCs from all but
in site clients with success.  We also found you need to wipe out the SRV
records in DNS after you apply the registry / GPO changes.

Regards;

James R. Day
Active Directory Core Team
Office of the Chief Information Officer
National Park Service
(202) 354-1464 (direct)
(202) 371-1549 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Myrick, Todd          |
|         |           (NIH/CIT)"             |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           tivedir.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           09/09/2004 02:16 PM AST|
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           ActiveDir              |
|---------+---------------------------------->

---------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|
  |       cc:       (bcc: James Day/Contractor/NPS)
|
  |       Subject:  [ActiveDir] Stopping a GC from doing Authentications

Is it possible to configure a GC to perform GC functions, but to disable
the ability to process authentication request?  I was asked this question
and figured this would be an interesting topic here.  I know it is possible
to mess with the SRV records to lower the priority of the server, etc.

Thanks,

Todd