From: Dean Wells [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 5:50 PM
To: Send - AD mailing list
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Application Partition Replication

As with the well-known 3 partitions, app. partitions, their connection objects and the resulting replica links are handled by the KCC, ISTG and DRA.  Site structure is taken into account, in short they're treated the same as the domain NC with the possible noteworthy exception that their content is ignored by GCs when sourcing partial replicas.

As for the bridgeheadinging aspect; yes, preferred b'heads will be used if they hold a replica of the partition in question.  If the list of preferred b'heads for a particular site does not include a DC in possession of an app. partition then the ISTG will bark, tell you you're a fool and assign one for you (a behavior new to 2003).  It is also worth mentioning that the ISTG must be running on a 2003 DC within a particular site in order for app. partitions to get a topology built for them but since 2003 DCs steal the ISTG role when added to a site containing no other 2003 DCs that isn't really a problem (especially since you have to have at least one 2003 DC within a site in order for an app. partition to be present there in the first place).

There are, of course, other behavioral differences 'tween app. partitions and their domain counterparts but I can't think of any that warrant mentioning in this context.

Specific to your error, have you disabled site link bridging?  A description of your site topology, the DCs within those sites and which of those DCs are or were running 2003's DNS service would be most useful?

--
Dean Wells
MSEtechnology