AFAIK a Windows 2000+ OS will not connect to the domain using NTLM again
after it found a AD DC. However there's some fallback after the Client
receives the netlogon_ex response - this is after ~15 minutes (which you
usually won't want to wait).
Using different authentication protocols will only work if the remote client
will never log on locally to prevent this behavior.

Another suggestion: Might it work to modify a DL-Group in the logon-script
of the users? Add the user if it's connecting remote (make sure it's not in
there if logging on in the network), and deny rights on the AD-Attributes
for that group? Just a guess.

Gruesse - Sincerely,

Ulf B. Simon-Weidner

  MVP-Book "Windows XP - Die Expertentipps":  http://tinyurl.com/44zcz