-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 1:23 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] proxy ldap and/or server

Not sure what the OP has in mind, but I was thinking about exposing a
directory without exposing any additional surface area for possible
exploitation without the overhead of syncing data. Eventually I could
see the proxy even refusing certain types or sizes of operations. Say
you don't allow any modify ops or searching with specific attributes or
result returns of x size can be stopped, etc. It could also proxy the
access rights even. You call it anonymously, it calls the real directory
with creds and only returns things that the anonymous person should see
but doesn't require you to open the real directory up for anonymous
access in fear you do something wrong.

Another thing that would be interesting is multidirectory integration.
I.E. You can use one proxy that can route to several different
directories without need of referrals. So that the proxy knows where to
look for something in certain ranges. That would start getting very
complicated though.

Just thunking...