Using the powers of the MVP, I now officially pronounce this thread as
complete :)

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Jorge de Almeida Pinto [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 4:12 PM
To: 'joe '; '[EMAIL PROTECTED] ';
'ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org '
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] AD DR - replication lag site----Why?

(1)
In the Netherlands when you own a car and you drive with it, by law you at
least must have a basic insurance that covers liability. This simply means
that when you cause damage with your car the other party gets paid to repair
their damage. You, however, have to pay for your own damage.
This is for those cases when most people cannot affort such high costs. This
also applies to situations in IT. You'll always have to answer: how much can
you affort when this or that occurs?

What I'm trying to say here is: you implement a certain solution to
accomodate those situations (in solving) when errors have been made by
persons. People simply make mistakes and I agree it is better to prevent
errors against repairing them. But again it is not always possible, because
it costs too much money, or they simply don't care or they are not aware of
the damage that can come from it, etc.. How many times have you heard "it
will not happen to me, only to others"
There are also a lot of people that only understand (or get interested in)
what you are trying to say/explain when they are in deep sh*t. But then...
it's too late and much more expensive solutions/activities must be used if
sometimes a solution exists for the occasion.
It is always the choice between: "trying to save money now and spend a crap
load later each time it happens" or "spend a little bit of money now and
spend less money later". I believe in spending money now to save later
(long-term thought). A lot of managers only think about spending as little
money as possible. Eventual problems in the future are not problems at the
moment (short term thought)

(2)
>> When I say rollback, there is nothing left of the forest to get a USN
rollback and no worries of TLS.

I understand that an old state of the virtual environment is only used when
ALL other DCs are down, gone, bye bye, etc. (or at least isolated and some
of the activities mentioned in the MS DR WP are done like resetting all
kinds of accounts/trusts)
When I think about it now, you are right, I made a mistake, sorry for that.
Yes, when "giving life" to virtual DCs that belong to the same old state of
the virtual environment all those virtual DCs know about the state of the
other DCs in the virtual environment.
I do believe this solution provides a very fast recovery of the first DCs in
the forest to be rebuild.
With this solution and using the native way (restoring a backup) when the
tombstone lifetime has passed (the virtual environment state of the backups
used) you will experience event 2042 on all DCs (Event ID 2042: It has been
too long since this machine replicated)

After bringing the initial environment up you need to execute the steps as
mentioned in the MS DR white paper.
You especially need to think if everything really is down or the corrupt
forest is still up to provide functionalities for the users while restoring
a new forest in parallel.
And yes, there are a lot of decisions to be made and each IS different for
each company

Cheers
#JORGE#