Hey Rick - sorry to hear - but from how I know you, this has simply made it easier for you to move on to a new company, something you'll have wanted to do for a while now and never did due to the complications involved.  I am very positive, that you won't need to worry about finding anything.

As to this discussion, I find too often, that mid-size companies are not willing to take that last step which would ensure a better security model - and many have good reasons to do so and accept the risks involved. But then again, they've never had a real issue and if they would, that thought would likely be different.  It's different with large corporations - I can usually convince them to do the right thing.  So I guess we must differentiate the type of customer when discussing these sort of things.  This would make the discussion more "real world" like.

/Guido

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Kingslan
Sent: Samstag, 11. Juni 2005 05:30
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] mstsc /console switch for non admins

joe,

Yeah, you had to know it was coming – Rick’s  $.02 worth.

Remember what we both were relieved of our positions for?  Oh, that’s right – I didn’t tell you about me!  Suffice it to say I took one for my team because upper management was trying to get things done that were wrong, technically, tactically and strategically.  They, in fact, are on the verge of violating, IMHO, Sox 40x controls.  I complained, I argued, I provided information that they were on the precipice of something really bad.  Apparently, I finally hit nerve and my rubbing of folks the wrong way (from their viewpoint) caused my layoff via ‘Elimination of my position’.

Whatever.  I got fired for saying what I believed was right.  You and I see eye to eye as it is with DC permissions and access controls.  You and I see eye to eye on security as a whole.

However, our view is not really a well accepted PRACTICE in Corporate environments.  Our beliefs are actually radical when compared to the norm in practice.

Does this mean that we’re wrong?  No.  It DOES mean that our Secure Conscious viewpoint can still get one fired.  It’s not a popular stance to say “Of my 10 Systems Admins, only these two can log on to a DC.”   The common rebut is “Everyone needs to be able to do these functions when on call” or “when the help desk calls, we need everyone capable of dealing with the problem at hand”.

I still believe that we are correct, but – most folks don’t live in “Rick and joe-land”.  They live in the screwed up Corporate world where the only endgame is money, and the generation of it [1].  With IT being a cost center, and Security viewed as an even bigger inhibiter to Production, most companies need to have a *Serious* computer security event to be convinced that they have their priorities in the wrong places.

Money generated doesn’t matter if you can’t guarantee that you can SECURE your customer’s money / data / private information.

Rick

[1] Case in point.  One of the guys that I used to work with was told that one thing management was really pissed about was the time it would take me to lock down a server.  For estimation purposes, I told folks to plan for (and published a timeline for planning purposes) 2 days for initial lockdown, 2 days for final lockdown and application of IPSec filters, and 3 days for InfoSec to certify the system (The time for InfoSec is THEIR guideline from their VP – not my timeline at all).  Typically, I would have a server back to the application team the same day to apply their apps, and would take one day to do the final lockdown, apply IPSec, and scan it before sending to InfoSec (yeah, I’m kind of funny that way – I like to KNOW what the scan looks like before I send it for certification).  Typically, it would take the application folks (who were the ones that complained about the time *I* took) about 2 – 3 weeks to get their applications on to the box.

Now for the funny part.  No one else has a clue how to do what I was doing  Nada – nothing.  Nobody wanted to learn the boring, mundane, and highly visible process of hardening servers for the perimeter and DMZ.  So, other Supervisor gets this server that needs to be hardened.  He assigns it to my friend and tells him, “I don’t care if you know how to do it or not – just do it.”  He then proceeds to instruct him to just tell InfoSec you have a server to scan.  When you get the vulnerability report back, just fix what shows up as problems and send it back over to them for certification again.  “And, I need it by Friday, end of business…”  How long did this ‘abbreviated, BS, crap, end run, corner cutting hardening method for losers’ attempt take?

Three days.

Yeah.  They shaved a whole bunch of time off of my usual time to delivery.  <G>