I'm pretty much fearful of exactly the same things - in the meantime it's clear that any change to the source is not allowed and the customer is really keen on doing everything at once over a long weekend and is willing to risk "some extra troubleshooting" for the benefit of keeping both domains intact. Sounds like a lovely scripting job without much help from migration tools...

I'll have to think about doing some network tricks to have them in differnt subnets - then it should work having the two DCs available in the location (somehow).

Thanks though Eric for your thoughts early in the morning ;-)

/Guido

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Fleischman
Sent: Donnerstag, 16. Juni 2005 17:30
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org; ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Migration between domains with same NetBios name

AD itself shouldn't care (if it will care, I can't think of why right now, but then again it's only 8:32am, far before I am usually able to recall much). But someone who does broadcast, or maybe WINS gets mucked up as a result....they very well might care that a domain they think has some name doesn't know who they are.

Having two domains with the same name within NetBIOS earshot of one another is risky business. I'm always fearful that some subtle component (in Windows or not) gets confused and talks to a DC in the wrong domain.

Another other option is logical migration w/o physical. Take the users and do logical migration on them (ldifde or the like), and deal with SID and such headache and domain rejoin.
Another option is upgrade the 2k+ side to 2k3, and rename that domain.

~Eric