From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael B. Smith
Sent: Dienstag, 2. August 2005 22:08
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] copy or migrating local to domain accounts

How good are your scripting skills?

1) Dump the passwords from the local server using pwdump3e
2) Crack all the passwords using rainbow crack or l0phtcrack or whatever
3) Script the creation of the users in the domain setting those passwords you cracked

Pretty easy. (And if you already know all the passwords, you can skip items 1 and 2 -- "net users" will list your local users and you can use "dsadd" to add them to the domain!)

For extra credit:
4) Scan the filesystem finding all files with ACLs including the above users, write the filenames and ACLs to a file and after you've promoted the users and joined the domain, go back and re-ACL the files.

That's a little harder.

:-)

I've "promoted" web servers to a domain this way several times.

The real question is why does a local user no longer meet the needs on the local server?