-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brett Shirley
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 5:22 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] A bad bad thing...Manual push of AD?

NOT the USN.  Everyone makes that mistake ... why can no one keep the
version and the USN straight?

The USN never resolves replication conflicts, only tells us WHAT to
replicate, never WHAT should win.  The version is the opposite, it never
tells us what we need to replicate, only who should win in case of a
conflict ...

During auth restore the version is incremented by 100000 (per day old the
backup is), and the USN is simply allocated from the next available USN
(i.e. it is only guaranteed to be at least 1 higher than the last USN, but
more likely there is just some random number of USNs in between, so it
jumps by "some amount" ...).

Cheers,
-BrettSh