Hi Danny,

I also agree that using not state-of-the-art hardware is better than missing
redundancy.

I've done multiple lag-site dcs virtualized on one physical hardware, used
clients or virtual machines for domain migrations as the update server, and
would also recommend to use better older hardware for an additional DC than
just using a single DC.

It's always the game of defining how much money to spend to get what level of
redundancy. Is it likely that you have a AD failure _and_ the old hardware
decides to pay the dept of nature?

What I'd make sure:
- primarily keep the users on the better hardware using the SRV-Record
priorities
- define how long it'll take you to fix the better DC in case of an failure
- evaluate how many users need to be supported working in the office
(-holidays, mobile users,...)
- make sure that the old hardware is able to support those users for the time
defined above, if not look if you are able to get more DC or upgrade something
e.g. RAM until the hardware would be able to support your business

Bottom point - you don't want the old hardware failing b/c of being badly
scaled and that it'll only fail if the primary DC is going down.

My 0,02€

Ulf