I did? :-)  I think I still said all I know is what the poster said  :-)

I think I need a course in event log reading because even with the logs, and the default size of the logs, I still don't see a smoking gun. The directory services one is filled with events 'post' blow up.

What is interesting is that it seems to me big server land goes .. oh yeah... ntds.dit corruption... and sbsland freaks out. Either we do indeed need to ensure we have a secondary DC or we need to park a second copy of a system state offsite [say at the vap/var]

Brett Shirley wrote:
She replied offline, very likely a single bit flip, tragedy, they aren't
one release later (Longhorn), where this would've probably been
non-disruptively handled, logged, and possibly self-healed:
  http://blogs.technet.com/efleis/archive/2005/01.aspx

Anyway, this kind of thing is usually hardware ...

While there are much better disk sub-system testers, one that is freely
available to any box with Exchange is jetstress.  You might give that a
try.  If you can reproduce the event / error with jetstress I would not
use that box in production.

If you do reproduce the issue several times (several times is key, as you want a trend before you start playing the variable game), some things
you might vary (one at a time):

 - Try making sure you have the latest driver and motherboard / controller
firmware.  Then see if you can reproduce.

 - Try a different RAID configuration, such as RAID1/RAID1+0 if you're on
RAID5.

 - Try swapping out the hard drives, one at a time.

 - Adding the jetstress files to the exclude list in the Anti-Virus
software. (A low probablility, I've never heard of Anit-Virus causing this
paticular type of error, and I can't imagine the mistake an anti-virus
product would have to have to cause this side effect)

- If you can reproduce it several times, you could followup with Dell. Good luck.

I'm not sure if I answered your question ...

Cheers,
BrettSh