“Note Exchange doesn't take kindly to ICMP echo being disabled either. If Exchange can't ping a DC, DSACCESS does not see that DC unless you have specially configured it.”

Which, I always thought was a pretty funny way of doing things anyway.  As you are well aware, Ping doesn’t mean alive and healthy.  I know of many people who have spent hours to days troubleshooting a problem just to find that the machine that they first suspected as being the problem pinged just fine.  Sadly, it was dead from the neck up and port 389 and 3268 were non-responsive (along with all of the other really important stuff).

Rick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:54 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] icmp's

I would agree, the old style logon scripts should be fine, UNLESS you have implemented your own speed sensing based on icmp in the logon script (many of us did that long before MS did it for those who didn't figure it out).

Note Exchange doesn't take kindly to ICMP echo being disabled either. If Exchange can't ping a DC, DSACCESS does not see that DC unless you have specially configured it. If you never want to fail outside of a segment then that is the way to do it, but most people would rather fail over to any DC versus say, nah, those are two far away even though none of my local DCs are available if things go pear shaped.