:  -----Original Message-----
:  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:ActiveDir-
:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bernier, Brandon (.)
:  Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] [OT] IIS6 - Kerb/NTLM
:
:  I am running the application pool for this website as "Network
:  Service".
:  It is not explicitly defined in my IE Intranet Security Zone, but we
:  have a proxy script that enables "bypass from proxy server" and we
:  have that condition in IE security zone enabled, so yes its there.

I would recommend against making assumptions for reasons that are listed
below. Verify by looking at the icon in IE

:  I know it is using Kerberos (unless .Net is wrong) because I do a
:  catch that poops out the user context
:
:  System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().ImpersonationLe
:  ve
:  l.ToString();
:  System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().AuthenticationT
:  yp
:  e;

How do you know this is Kerberos and not NTLM?!? I think you are making an
assumption here as well. As you say below, your packet capture is showing
NTLM. You could look in the Windows Security event long on the IIS box to
find out which package is being used to authenticate the user.

:  D.) Until development is completed it is accessed under the server FQDN,
:  I registered an HTTP SPN as followings "setspn -a servername.com
servername".

Remove this SPN, it is not necessary. If you are running as Network Service,
the HOST SPN will be fine.

:  My network traces show it trying to authing as NTLM...I thought if it
:  can use kerb it does that first then NTLM

This is an incorrect assumption. There is no fall back. If IE is using NTLM,
then Kerberos is not being attempted at all. This is why I want you to verify
that IE thinks the site is in the Intranet security zone.

: ...I'm going to add
:  NTAuthenticationProviders=Negotiate in the metabase for this site so
:  it forces kerb or nothing. Thanks again!

This is another assumption. The Negotiate HTTP header does not force
Kerberos. It is a fancy way of telling the client that Kerberos is available
(and so is NTLM, and the browser needs to choose which out of the two it
wants to use). If you already have the Negotiate header in there, then IE is
deliberately choosing to use NTLM, and editing this property will not help
you.

If Negotiate is not there at all (and only NTLM is there), then you will need
to add it, and that may fix your problem.

Cheers
Ken

:
:  -Brandon