Hmm.. I'm surprised by that Susan. :)

Anyhow, why would you lock it down?  I'm curious as to what the motivation is in this particular instance to use the firewall like that?  What's the gain? What risk are you mitigating? What are you controlling?

As I understand this, it is not an internet facing machine such that a firewall is there to slow the rush.  This is firewalled off from other networks within the "trusted" networks (or not so trusted I suppose, since you did deploy a firewall.)  I'm not sure I understand what's to be gained by doing this, so I'm curious. I'm familiar with what other companies have done this type of configuration for, but I'm interested in this particular instance.