Is he a manager or a technical lead?  There's a world of difference between the two.

Technical leads have many of the responsibilities of a manager (handing out tasks, interfacing with upper management, discipline, etc...) but also have to be able to 'get their hands dirty', in other words, they basically have to be very strong technically.

If you're interviewing for a manager who isn't going to be doing anything technical, then just make sure that A) you don't grant him schema/enterprise admin rights, so that he can't screw everything up on you and B) He knows enough to where you're not holding his hand in *every* discussion that goes down the technical path.

If he's a technical lead... he should know how to deal with people and know nearly as much as you do, if not more.  If he's going to be digging into AD and having to work on fixing problems when they appear, then you need to make sure that he's not going to screw things up because he's trying to remember what they taught him in that 2-week class 8 months ago.