There was no real reason for a separate domain, other than it simplified the vendor's support. We ended up creating an OU and delegating administration to it.

Thanks.... I promised I would get back to you

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:46
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Vendor Domain

I completely understand.

If a vendor is actively and completely supporting this application for you ***as a service*** then patching, etc should be something that you specify the requirements for in the actual contract with the vendor with penalties, etc associated with it for non-compliance. You should not have to touch any of it because you shouldn't even have the ability to touch any of it - that is what the service model is about.

If this is a vendor telling you to create a new domain/forest that you in any way shape or form have to support for their app, I would tell them they better have a really amazing explanation because all of the tables are already against them and if the extra domain/forest gets pushed through you immediately tell, not ask, the people requiring the application what it is going to cost to get the extra resources to support the extra domain/forest - including all licenses for monitoring and other third party tools needed to properly support the environment.

Again, if this is just an application and application support, you tell the vendor where it goes. If this a service, then listen carefully to the vendor as they may have a good point and if you force them to deviate there will be a premium at the minimum associated with it. A new Domain/Forest for a service model should be a black box to you.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm