From Tim Mangan's whitepaper on hyperthreading under 2003:
"The results in this paper are exclusively related to Windows Server 2003. We are currently running the tests used in the development of this paper under  erver
2000. We can verify reports of performance and stability problems with Hyper-Threading on Windows 2000 Server, and at this time recommend customers disable Hyper-Threading under 2000."
http://www.tmurgent.com/images/WP_HyperThread.pdf

So disable under 2000 is the recomendation, As to 2003 he shows a small performance increase in all cases except multithreaded CPU-bound applications, which is expected. Personally I leave hyperthreading turned on for my 2003 installs. It also makes single->dual cpu upgrades easier since the SMP kernal is already used =)

Thanks,
Andrew Fidel

"Wyatt, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

08/07/2006 09:45 AM

Please respond to
ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org

<ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
cc
Subject
[ActiveDir] DCs & Hyper-Threading

What are people's views on whether to enable or disable hyper-threading on a Proliant box running Windows 2003 as a DC.  I remember Intel advised HT to be disabled on Windows 2000 but has this changed for Windows 2003?.  Are the performance benefits significant for a DC?

Thanks
David

for the individual or entity named. If you are not the named addressee
you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
This message is provided for informational purposes and should not
be construed as an invitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.
GAM operates in many jurisdictions and is
regulated or licensed in those jurisdictions as required.