Title: Message
"I am drinking my second Labatt's not having to make any difficult decisions"

now thats funny!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: 17 Aug 2006 20:26
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] FMSO roles split, patch question.

That is fine Deji, you can completely disagree as much you want, it wouldn't be the first time we haven't agreed. :)

BTW, I never said Best Practice, I said this is what I do and I agree with Jorge. But in the end, I don't care about best practices, I do what I think is right and the least likely to cause me issues balanced by my efficiency of doing things.

You could test something to within an inch of its existence and something still go wrong in production, there is no way to guarantee no issues will occur, that is why we test in the first place. If it could be guaranteed, MSFT would have already done so. So you can put your faith in god all you want but it is prudent to row away from the rocks as well.

I am confused as to what disadvantage there is to moving roles? You seem to be saying since it isn't troublesome to seize them you shouldn't tranfer them. That is cracked.

Note that I don't say do this just for patching, any reboot or machine specific core change and I will move the roles. It could be something completely unrelated to a patch that caused a failure, especially in a reboot situation. It is such an innocuous thing to do that can save concern and work in the event of a failure. I think if it is easy to do up front, it seems outright stupid to not move the roles and remove all possibility of an issue around them. If I had a DC fail while doing maintenance work, I don't want to have to have made up issues for me to deal with around it, just get the DC working again. I can guarantee you several large companies that I have done work for would all question the process if I didn't do everything I could to limit possible issues up front.

I would argue, and have in the past argued, that a seize is not as good as a tranfer regardless of your thoughts on the topic. If that weren't the case, it is probably likely there wouldn't be two methods in the first place. Even now there doesn't really need to be two methods, you could have one method for transfer and if that fails it does the seize but they specifically want you realizing you are seizing. Even if this weren't the case, I would STILL move the roles because it is simple and innocuous and fast.

In the end, you can do anything you want to to manage your environments as you see fit, but any environment I run will be handled as I indicated. I see it as such free insurance that is silly not to buy.

Let me leave you with a scenario, feel free not to respond if you want.

You and I are working on our enterprise environments. We need to patch or do something else which will require a reboot. I go ahead and quickly move the roles and you just go forward in patching, I am slow that day so it takes 30 seconds instead of 15 seconds to move roles and then I am patching. You obviously hit reboot first, uh no, the reboot hangs up or the server doesn't reboot or doesn't even POST. 30 seconds later I see the same thing... Assuming we built out Domain Controller Architecture properly what happens next?

I go, well that sucks, I will have to fix that at some time and determine when I will make time for it and decide if I will troubleshoot and correct or just wipe and reload.

You go, *&[EMAIL PROTECTED]. Do I fix this or do I seize the roles and you think about it while I am getting in my jeep and driving to meet friends or have lunch or dinner. (or alternately maybe some more junior admin makes the WRONG decision without you there..) Once you finally decide what direction you go, you then know what you can properly do. In the meanwhile, your decision may get pushed as users and admins start noticing things aren't as they should be. The GPO management tools are bitching about which machine they should talk to. Users changing passwords via tools using legacy API (yes they still exist even if clients don't) are all breaking. Password chaining isn't working for anyone that changed their passwords. Who knows what else is going on, you get to figure it out. I am drinking my second Labatt's not having to make any difficult decisions.

All over a 15 second process handled by a batch file that took what maybe 30-60 minutes to write.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm