Since the OP has said that the accounts' UAC flags are 512, not 544, the entire discussion around this is moot.

BTW, did anybody notice if my post about the 512/544 value hit the list yesterday? I don't remember seeing it and am wondering if I actually sent it. :-)

Thanks,

Laura

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul Williams
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 7:36 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Strange password issue

But you cannot set UAC to 512 if the password is blank, as it doesn't comply with the password policy.  Try it.  The other half of my post shows the error.  I also tried it through the GUI (ADSIEDIT gives errors that are easier on the eyes, although less specific) and it said it wasn't compliant with the security policy, so it is checking the password when you do this.

p.s. your query, while illustrating the point, isn't really appropriate.  The following is how you should be looking for people with this bit set.

(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=32))

Remember, unless you've made it so, objectClass isn't indexed and although UAC is, this also applies to non-people objects, e.g. computers.

--Paul